I have been toying with the idea of recording
thoughts, insights, and stories for the purpose of strengthening and empowering
my own faith as well as others’. The
word “empower” is very telling: it means to invest with power, supply with ability,
and enable. “Empowered faith” allows us
to do things we otherwise could not on our own.
Faith is more than just an emotional anchor, it is a tangible tool. My aim is to figure out how to use it and help
others do the same.
The other day, I was reminded of this experience. It is dedicated to anyone who has ever had a difficult
day. I am sure I am in good company!
It was early October, and I was in my second year of
teaching choir. I didn't wake up
intending for it to be a bad day, but as the day continued, everything seemed
to be going wrong.
That morning, I woke to discover that someone had
actually pried open the hood of my car and had stolen the light bulbs and plastic
covering for my turning signals, leaving only two black holes and some
misplaced wires. I was shocked that was even a possibility! Then
the shipments of choir uniforms came in, but the color was wrong, which meant a
lot of extra work and stress to ensure that the right color would arrive by the
concert. On top of that, my favorite scarf from New York went missing sometime
before lunch. I was sick, tired, and
completely frustrated.
During my prep
period, I decided to use the last five minutes and read a talk entitled, “The Privilege
of Prayer.” It begins with a story about
a man who had an extremely difficult day at work. As he was biking home, he said a very simple
prayer that he would be able to find a quarter on the side of the road so he
could buy some chicken to cheer him up before coming home to his wife and
family. Miraculously, he found a quarter
across the street, and he was able to buy the chicken and ride cheerfully
home.
As I sat in my office,
tears started to come. (That is
especially bad when you have to teach in less than a minute!) I needed a “quarter.” How was I supposed to teach these kids in the
broken and beat state I was in? I wasn't
sure exactly what I needed, but I knelt down and prayed to the Lord for
strength. I prayed for my own version of
a quarter—just something that would help me get through a difficult day at
work.
3rd period came quickly, which was naturally
a rough class to teach considering it was 120 non-auditioned 8th
graders. Help! I
wondered how I would be able to continue teaching the next class, when one of
my 8th grade boys came up to me. “Miss Johanson,” he said, “I just
found this quarter on the ground. Do you
want it?” That was my answer. A Quarter.
He literally answered my prayer with a quarter! God does have a sense of
humor! I almost laughed and tried not to
cry in front of my student. “Thank you.”
That was definitely one way to let me know I was not forgotten! Even a couple years later, I still have that
quarter.
As I was thinking about this experience, I decided to
record the lessons learned.
1.
God exists. He loves us and is actually aware of
what we are going through.
2.
He has a sense of humor! J I prayed for a quarter
(figuratively) and I got…a quarter! Fabulous!
I can now dry my laundry an extra 12 minutes!! But in all seriousness, that quarter means we
are remembered and loved. More
importantly, it means that our prayers are always heard, even if they are not
answered in the way we had expected or hoped.
3.
God’s love does not mean you will get what you
want when you want it. Yes, it would
have been nice for my turning signals to have appeared on the piano in the
auditorium, but that didn’t happen. It
isn’t wise for a parent to give a child everything as soon as they ask for
it. What a mess the kid would turn out
to be! But I am grateful for a tangible
token to remind me to never get discouraged.
4.
Finally, be the answer to someone else’s
prayer. Jesse will probably never know
what finding that quarter meant to me that day, but as long as we each keep
serving and looking for opportunities to help, we are bound to do something
good.
Debi!! I love this and I cannot wait to read more of your thoughts! Miss you!
ReplyDeleteI love the quirky ways that God reminds us of His love and care for us. Thanks for sharing this story and expression of faith. :)
ReplyDeleteLove this. Thanks for your insight and example :)
ReplyDeleteI'm teaching a RS lesson on missionary work and emphasizing how we can use technology. This is perfect!
We all need occasional quarters to keep us going, and Yes, the Lord DOES hear and answer prayers. Thanks for sharing Debi.
ReplyDeleteYour blog is going on my list of "to read, often!" Thanks for sharing your uplifting thoughts. Love you and miss you!
ReplyDeleteI loved that talk and loved your story. You are amazing, Debi and I am looking forward to being strengthened by your insights. Love you!
ReplyDelete